NASA’s new laser instrument, the Global Ecosystem Dynamics Investigation, or GEDI, has advanced laser technology that will reveal the makeup of remote forest ecosystems around the globe. GEDI will soar above Earth at 17,150 miles per hour onboard the International Space Station. Its measurements of the height of leaves, branches, trees, and shrubs below its path will help scientists map the structure of forests and better understand how ecosystems are storing or releasing carbon.
GEDI’s lidar instrument sends laser pulses down to Earth, where they penetrate the globe’s temperate and tropical forests. The laser beams ricochet off the first thing they hit, which can be a leaf atop a dense canopy, a protruding branch, or the ground from which the forest emerges. The energy returned to the GEDI tele scope on the International Space Station will provide an intricate three-dimensional map of forest canopies and carbon storage.
Led by the University of Maryland in collaboration with NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, GEDI has the highest resolution and densest sampling of any lidar every put in orbit.
Music: “Hard Thinking” by Leonard-Morgen; “Hidden Files” by Sam Dodson [PRS]
This video is public domain and along with other supporting visualizations can be downloaded from the Scientific Visualization Studio at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/13100
Credit: NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center/Matthew Radcliff
If you liked this video, subscribe to the NASA Goddard YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/NASAExplorer
Follow NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center
· Instagram http://www.instagram.com/nasagoddard
· Twitter http://twitter.com/NASAGoddard
· Twitter http://twitter.com/NASAGoddardPix
· Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NASA.GSFC
· Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc
Press here: Nasa for more similar videosTags: carbon, mapping
- Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Space Shuttle AtlantisTheMighty ThorMon, July 1, 2013 1:56amURL:Embed:Space Shuttle Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex puts visitors face to face and …
- U.K. F-35s Will Use Strange Rolling Carrier LandingsUS military TechnologyWed, October 17, 2018 2:00pmURL:Embed:The Royal Navy is currently testing a landing system that will allow its F-35B …
- US Space Shuttle & Launch Structure 1/144 ScaleJeff HeadWed, July 4, 2018 4:59pmURL:Embed:This is a 1/144 scale model of the US Space Shuttle and its entire launch …
- Interview with Bob Ebeling, NASA EngineerStudies WeeklyTue, April 5, 2016 7:30pmURL:Embed:“The Challenger should have never left the ground.” Bob Ebeling, an engineer at NASA, warned …
- NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine – Introducing NASA Home & CityNASA 360Tue, September 18, 2018 1:37pmURL:Embed:From your kitchen to your airport, and everywhere in between, space has transformed how you …