The Global Fire WEather Database (GFWED) integrates different weather factors influencing the likelihood of a vegetation fire starting and spreading. It is based on the Fire Weather Index (FWI) System, which tracks the dryness of three general fuel classes, and the potential behavior of a fire if it were to start. Each day, FWI values are calculated from global weather data, including satellite rainfall data from the Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) mission. The FWI System is the most widely used fire danger rating system in the world, and has been adopted for different boreal, temperate and tropical fire environments. GFWED provides a globally consistent fire weather dataset for fire researchers and managers to apply locally. The Fire Weather Index component is suitable as a general index of fire danger. Globally, shifts in continental-scale fire activity follow seasonal changes in the FWI. Over South America and Africa, regions of high FWI and active agricultural burning shift with the tropical rain belts, seen in the GPM precipitation overlay. Over North America and Eurasia, the FWI will “activate” in the spring, and shows how week-to-week surges in fire activity can be driven by high FWI values.
More information on GFWED and instructions on accessing the data are available from https://data.giss.nasa.gov/impacts/gfwed/ Additional footage courtesy of Greenpeace.
Music: “Vulnerable Moment,” John Ashton Thomas, Atmosphere Music Ltd.; “Inducing Waves,” Ben Niblett and Jon Cotton, Atmosphere Music Ltd. Complete transcript available.
This video is public domain and along with other supporting visualizations can be downloaded from the Scientific Visualization Studio at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12667
Credit: NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center/Ryan Fitzgibbons
If you liked this video, subscribe to the NASA Goddard YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/NASAExplorer
Follow NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center
· Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NASA.GSFC
· Twitter http://twitter.com/NASAGoddard
· Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/
· Instagram http://www.instagram.com/nasagoddard/
· Google+ http://plus.google.com/+NASAGoddard/posts
Press here: Nasa for more similar videosTags: global, rainfall, weather
- SPACEX Dragon leaving the ISS – International Space Station Timelapse videoSpace VideosTue, October 3, 2017 10:57pmURL:Embed:Time-lapse video of SpaceX Dragon capsule as it undocked from the International Space Station (ISS) …
- Expedition 56 In Flight Interview with Challenger Center Washington DC edited – August 7, 2018NASA VideoTue, August 7, 2018 8:32pmURL:Embed:HD download link: https://go.nasa.gov/2KqH8Wq.
- Earth From Space 4K Video: Earth seen by Himawari 8 Satellite August 2017Space VideosSat, September 9, 2017 10:31pmURL:Embed:Created from thousands of individual photos taken by the Himawari 8 satellite – this 4K …
- USS Enterprise Shooter Gives His Perspective on Flight DeckAiirSource MilitarySat, April 20, 2013 3:19amURL:Embed:This video features a story on what it’s like to be a shooter on USS …
- NASA Explorers: Frozen WorldNASAFri, November 23, 2018 3:00amURL:Embed:You have to start somewhere when looking for life away from Earth. Many #NASAExplorers look for …